Username: Password: Remember me
CodeTyphon Linux OS Development, discussions and problems
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Puppy Linux and CodeTyphon 12 years 3 months ago #1495

• tatamata
  • tatamata's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
For being able to install CodeTyphon on Puppy Linux, it is neccessary to remove all "sudo" from .sh scripts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Puppy Linux and CodeTyphon 12 years 3 months ago #1528

• Chris
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Tatamata

I thought about whether there was a way of doing this the other day but couldn;t spend a lot of time on it unfortunately. Most versions of Puppy linux won't have all the necessary libraries so there'll probably be many dependencies missing.

However, one possible way might be to choose a base of LuPu puppy and use a base cd from Ubuntu Lucid Lynx to get the dependencies since they are supposedly binary compatible.

Start off with Ubuntu (maybe a live cd) and extract CodeTyphonIns somewhere you can extract the initial install. When you run the CodeTyphon installer it will try to install the necessary libraries but what you really want is to download them somewhere as you're not really wanting to install them anyway.

Navigate to the installbin/ScriptsLin/systems foder and you'll see the actual script that's used to download the libraries - what you'd need to do is to change the script to just download these libraries as opposed to install them. It looks like this;

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y make gcc build-essential binutils
sudo apt-get install -y gdb devscripts
sudo apt-get install -y xterm zip unzip alien libgtk2.0-dev libgpmg1-dev libsdl-dev libXxf86vm-dev libgtkglext1 libgtkglext1-dev
sudo apt-get install -y libXxf86vm-dev libx11-dev
sudo apt-get install -y libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev mesa-utils
sudo apt-get install -y libncurses5-dev libgtk2.0-dev libXp-dev
sudo apt-get install -y gtk2-engines-pixbuf

in the Ubuntu one (use the Slackware one I guess for a Slacko puppy installation) - I think it might just require the "install" lines changing to "source" which should mean it will download the package but not install it. The first one for GCC you might not (probably shouldn't) need since this should be in the devx package you can just download for Lupu - in fact if you can identify the relevant pet/sfs package elsewhere for any of the others they might be preferable to the Lucid downloaded deb package.

When you run the altered script it it should give you a series of packages (*.deb) files in the same folder I guess.

Now from a booted (frugal?) Puppy installation you'll need to convert these .deb files to pet's (I think there are some scripts to do this in the forums) or possibly combine them to all into a single sfs.

Once you've got this far and added the SFS containing these debs to the basic lupu installation you can proceed with step 2 which would be the actually compilation/installation of the CT version of FPC/Lazarus - I think here you will need a very big saved memory file as everything will be decompressed by the installer into the normal filesystem just before it's all built by CT. It'll then be a case of combining all the dependencies and the "built" versaion of FPC/Lazarus into a single SFS file.

Of course you might still find dependencies missing from Puppy - if you took the same SVN version of Lazarus and manually installed it in the first instance just to see what else's required that might be useful - as you know it's a long-winded process but the results might be worth it - especially if you can get a CT version of FPC/Lazarus as a SFS.

Best of luck and any help I can provide I will try and do so...

TheBlackSheep

Re: Puppy Linux and CodeTyphon 12 years 3 months ago #1531

• tatamata
BlasckSheep,

Actually, in my Puppy (SnowPuppy) it was relatively easy to install, since I have devx sfs loaded and most libraries needed are present in devx. Other libraries was easy to find in .pet repository.
Good things is that Code Typhon Center has "Libraries" tab where missing libraries are listed.
And yes, in all .sh scripts, "sudo" statements have to be removed...

Re: Puppy Linux and CodeTyphon 12 years 3 months ago #1532

• Chris
  • Thank you received: 4
have you managed to make a sfs of a version CodeTyphon then? that would work with SnowPuppy (or similar?)

Re: Puppy Linux and CodeTyphon 12 years 3 months ago #1538

• tatamata
OK. Here is the .pet package for Puppies:
www.4shared.com/file/U5ryH2fy/CodeTyphon-240.html
Note that it is huge, 788 MB, since it is precompiled.

I suppose it will work even without missing libraries, because it is already compiled, but here are libraries:
www.4shared.com/file/rxSOsfAe/CodeTyphon-Libs.html

Could you please test in some frugal Puppy?

• Page: