TOPIC:

Castle Game Engine 9 years 5 months ago #6197

• avra
  • avra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have seen this in changes log file CT 5.10:
"Remove pl_Castle pkg from CodeTyphon Studio, we can't support this library"
I just wonder what was the reason for this...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Castle Game Engine 9 years 5 months ago #6199

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
  • Thank you received: 1100
Sir
Castle Engine is a complex and big 3D library
but at last releases we have many problems with the Typhon IDE integration.

1)- Typhon IDE don't follow Delphi dynamic components loading method.
so static linking to OS libraries or Code to initialization session of units must by limited, because effect the hole Typhon IDE
As sample Castle Engine work OK to FreeBSD 64 but crash Typhon IDE to FreeBSD 32 for unknown reasons.

2)- Samples, every time we update Castle Engine from SVN we make a big work to make CodeOcean Castle Engine samples to work again.

Obviously CT is not in programmer's PC box.

Please, don't forget that at the end of current CT plan (Generation V) our target is to Go from "Professional" to "Industrial" level
and this my promise to Pascal community.
PilotLogic Architect and Core Programmer
The following user(s) said Thank You: avra, gulyone, Aron Somodi

Last edit: by Sternas Stefanos.

Castle Game Engine 9 years 5 months ago #6200

• gulyone
  • Thank you received: 5
great Sternas! you and your team are very smart and it's a long way ... the path to your roadmap.

people who still need castle engine can download the whole pack on their site and try to install it.

personnally I prefer the ORCA pack or asphyresphinx pack, in the hope they will grow up for "industry standards". but I'm much more focused on deep system programming and new network protocols building than 3D.

I wish you the best and I will continue to point the bugs I find if it can help

Greetings and Respect! little Big Sternas

Castle Game Engine 6 years 11 months ago #10772

• Michalis Kamburelis
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi,

I realize that this thread is a little old. I'm the author of the Castle Game Engine:)

I don't use Code Typhon, but I use Lazarus and FPC. In fact, the engine is developed for Lazarus and FPC (we never supported Delphi, although it may change in a few months). So, everything should work with Code Typhon, and if it doesn't -- please submit a bug report :) E.g. though GitHub: github.com/castle-engine/castle-engine/issues .

We had a big release 6.0.0 at the beginning of 2017, and in general many things have been extended in the last 2 years, so if you had any problems -- please try the new version from castle-engine.sourceforge.io/ :)

> 1)- Typhon IDE don't follow Delphi dynamic components loading method.
> so static linking to OS libraries or Code to initialization session of units must by limited, because effect the hole Typhon IDE
> As sample Castle Engine work OK to FreeBSD 64 but crash Typhon IDE to FreeBSD 32 for unknown reasons.

The Castle Game Engine is using Lazarus static packages, and we have no problems with this as far as I know. We *do not* do anything weird in the "initialization" clauses of our units. Note that you should not install the castle_window package, only castle_component package. This is documented clearly on castle-engine.sourceforge.io/documentation.php .

Can you submit an exact error that happens under FreeBSD 32?

I don't regularly test on FreeBSD, but I do test engine components on Linux (32 and 64), Windows and Mac OS X before each release. And Lazarus does not crash.

> 2)- Samples, every time we update Castle Engine from SVN we make a big work to make CodeOcean Castle Engine samples to work again.

I actually put a lot of work into being backward-compatible. Sometimes, incompatible changes happen (especially when we moved the rendering from "only desktop OpenGL" into "OpenGL on desktop, OpenGLES on mobile"), but I work hard to avoid them, or at least document them clearly. Can you point me to the exact code that used to work with an old engine version, and does not work anymore? At the very least, I can suggest how to upgrade it. You can ask here, or on our engine forum on sourceforge.net/p/castle-engine/discussion/general/ :)

Thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: avra, Aron Somodi

Castle Game Engine 6 years 11 months ago #10773

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
  • Thank you received: 1100
Thanks Sir
yes is a lot of time (about 2,5 years)

I can only promise we will test again your library
PilotLogic Architect and Core Programmer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aron Somodi

• Page: