Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Components and Libraries for Database Development, discussions, problems and suggestions
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Database Access 10 years 9 months ago #3981

• Terry Haimann
  • Terry Haimann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok,

I am moderatly interested. What Lazarus does, it does well. But, the powers that be at Lazarus are anti MySQL. I would like to see is something like ZEOSDBO that came pre-compiled into the standard install package. As it stands now, Zeos is very hard to install into the latest releases of Lazarus. And lets be honest, in the Open Source World, there is only one database that matters, MySQL and the MariaDB clone. Also as I upgrade systems, software I have written becomes unusable because the Lazarus MySQL Libraries are too old and it can be months before new libraries show up that are compatible with new version of MySQL.

I haven't upgraded to the latest versions of Lazarus because the ZeosDBO doesn't compile and I don't have the time to go in and find out why Lazarus and Zeos have become incompatible.

Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Database Access 10 years 9 months ago #3982

• zeljko
  • Thank you received: 38
Firebird is also open source

www.firebirdsql.org/

UIB, SQLdb

Database Access 10 years 9 months ago #3997

• Terry Haimann
  • Terry Haimann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Well if you want to be picky there are several databases that could/should be supported

1. MySQL/MariaDB: Good fast semi light database
2. PostgreSQL: Good heavy duty Database
3. Firebird
4. SQLite: Extremely lightweigh Database.

I find MySQL meets my needs perfectly and I have already invested on it's learning curve.
PostgreSQL I find is too hard to use and SQLite is a toy. And the truth of the matter is, 90% of the free source crowd are using MySQL. If you want your project to be a success, it needs to support MySQL right out of the box and you need to keep your access libraries up to date. Right now Lazarus is not really a success because what it would be most useful at is producing database apps, and it just hasn't kept the database libraries up to date.

Case in point, I have written an Astronomy Planning App. and it's pretty good. If the database libraries were up to date I could probably get it in the Repositories with a little help. But I can't even compile it on my Fedora box and have it going on an older Mint laptop. I am considering doing a total rewrite in a non Object Pascal system that supports MySQL better, such as Python and that pains me because I really like OP.

I really think though that only two databases really need supported out of the box, that beimg MySQL and PostgreSQL. Those two databases probably cover 98% of the Open Source Market.

Well, I have said my piece,

Terry

• Page: