Username: Password: Remember me
CodeTyphon Cross-Build Development, discussions and problems
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ubuntu 11.04 to win32 12 years 7 months ago #1215

• Jacek
  • Jacek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I've got disabled cross-build possibilities on Ubuntu 11.04 x64 and x86 in CodeTyphon center.
Is this some of a my problem or it's not possible to do this on Linux ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 to win32 12 years 7 months ago #1220

• avra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Have you tried menu Cross-Build / Lazarus32 build cross elements for ALL CPUs-OSs in CodeTyphoon Center application?

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 to win32 12 years 7 months ago #1221

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
  • Thank you received: 1101

jack_ wrote: I've got disabled cross-build possibilities on Ubuntu 11.04 x64 and x86 in CodeTyphon center.

CT don't support cross for linux yet...
PilotLogic Architect and Core Programmer

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 to win32 12 years 7 months ago #1222

• Jacek
That's the situation:
Ubuntu 11.04 x64 - all cross-builds menu is grayed out. To see cross-builds menu I have to run CodeTyphon center from gksu.
Ubuntu 11.04 x86, but created through KVM virtualization [on this x64 Ubuntu] - don't want to even build Lazarus BigIDE - small IDE is building correctly.

Ubuntu x64 is on Unity, and virtualized x86 was on Ubuntu Classic.

See attachment.

Last edit: by Jacek.

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 to win32 12 years 7 months ago #1223

• Jacek

sternas wrote:

jack_ wrote: I've got disabled cross-build possibilities on Ubuntu 11.04 x64 and x86 in CodeTyphon center.

CT don't support cross for linux yet...

Is it possible to make a "fake" cross-build like: I'm creating an app on Linux64, then move all project to some Win32 station
and them compile that app again to get Win32 build ??
Do I have to use GTK2 on both machines, or can I change that to Win32 on the second PC ?

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 to win32 12 years 7 months ago #1236

• Rain
  • Thank you received: 8

jack_ wrote: Is it possible to make a "fake" cross-build like: I'm creating an app on Linux64, then move all project to some Win32 station
Do I have to use GTK2 on both machines, or can I change that to Win32 on the second PC ?

Similar things I did:
Program in Windows an LCL-Application and build for Win32 there.
Copy the whole project without modifications to Linux64 and compile there again for target Linux64. Works easiest.
Crosscompiling requires not only quite a few tools to be installed, also all the libraries for the linker to succeed must be made available, which can be tedious because of the number and versions of the libraries you need to provide. For this you need a working target sytem anyway as source for the libraries, so actually compiling there makes sense if Lazarus is installable there and the LCL components are made for that platform too. Crosscompiling is much more useful for targets which do not allow Lazarus to be installed (embedded systems).
The advantage of compiling *on* the target platform are the debugging capabilities of the IDE. If a cross-compiled build fails on the target, debugging is more guesswork than watching a nice debugger output in the IDE.
That said, a crossbuild from Win32 to Linux32 was after some time successful, only the window could not be closed by clicking the closing-cross. It just stayed open until eventually the kill command succeeded. :huh:

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 to win32 12 years 7 months ago #1238

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
  • Thank you received: 1101
++1 Sir
soon we will release crossbuild and for
Linux, it's under lab test/dev
PilotLogic Architect and Core Programmer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jacek

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 to win32 12 years 7 months ago #1239

• Jacek

rain wrote:

jack_ wrote: Is it possible to make a "fake" cross-build like: I'm creating an app on Linux64, then move all project to some Win32 station

Similar things I did:
Program in Windows an LCL-Application and build for Win32 there.
Copy the whole project without modifications to Linux64 and compile there again for target Linux64. Works easiest.
Crosscompiling requires not only quite a few tools to be installed, also all the libraries for the linker to succeed must be made available, which can be tedious because of the number and versions of the libraries you need to provide. For this you need a working target sytem anyway as source for the libraries, so actually compiling there makes sense if Lazarus is installable there and the LCL components are made for that platform too. Crosscompiling is much more useful for targets which do not allow Lazarus to be installed (embedded systems).
The advantage of compiling *on* the target platform are the debugging capabilities of the IDE. If a cross-compiled build fails on the target, debugging is more guesswork than watching a nice debugger output in the IDE.
That said, a crossbuild from Win32 to Linux32 was after some time successful, only the window could not be closed by clicking the closing-cross. It just stayed open until eventually the kill command succeeded. :huh:

Yep - I've tried this with some simple App. But I'm not sure if it's fully transferable, for example when you create some bigger MSSQL database App. From the CodeTyphon Help I've read that the components has equivalents for all operating systems Win and Linux x86 and x64.

Till this time I've been using Borland C++ Builder 4 Professional.

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 to win32 12 years 7 months ago #1240

• Jacek

sternas wrote: ++1 Sir
soon we will release crossbuild and for
Linux, it's under lab test/dev

It's nice to hear that. I've tried to do some cross-build on Virtual Windows 2008R2.
I think that's almost undoable.
I've spend 2 hours with copying all libraries from Ubuntu x64, creating dirs and etc.
After all of this I've received some funny message from linker and thats all about it.

• Page: